The latest on the Omicron variant in Dhaka: Key Updates (15-28 January 2022)

  • Between 15 to 28 January 2022, icddr,b Virology Laboratory has sequenced 24 COVID-19 positive samples collected from Dhaka City.
  • The Omicron was detected in 22 (92%) samples, and the remaining 2 were Delta (8%).
  • Among the Omicrons, two lineages were identified. Most of those were the Omicron BA.2 (86%), and the remaining were the Omicron BA.1 (14%).
  • We observed the complete replacement of Delta by the Omicron during the last week of January 2022.

Figure: Weekly distribution of circulating SARS-CoV-2 variants in Dhaka city from 1 Jan 2021 to 28 Jan 2022. The bar graph (Y-axis) indicates the % of variants identified, and numbers are printed inside.