The latest on the Omicron variant in Dhaka: Key Updates (29 January-18 February 2022)


  • Between 29 January to 18 February 2022, icddr,b Virology Laboratory has sequenced 48 COVID-19 positive samples collected from Dhaka City.
  • The Omicron was detected in 47 samples (98%), and the remaining 1 was Delta (2%).
  • Among the Omicrons, two lineages were identified. Most of those were the Omicron BA.2 (83%), and the remaining were the Omicron BA.1 (17%).

Figure: Weekly distribution of circulating SARS-CoV-2 variants in Dhaka city from 1 Jan 2021 to 18 Feb 2022. The bar graph (Y-axis) indicates the % of variants identified, and numbers are printed inside.