We are an international health research institute based in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Our research is addressing some of the worldâ€™s most pressing health challenges.
We aim to ensure that our evidence and experience is widely shared.
Stay up to date with our research and activities.
icddr,b is uniquely placed to generate a better understanding of most pressing health problems facing Bangladesh and the global South, and to develop effective solutions to those problems.
We aim to carry out high-quality research that addresses health priorities and ultimately influences policy and practice. To achieve these aims, our work is guided by a set of key principles:
- Understanding local context: icddr,b is embedded within a developing country, and we are intimately familiar with health and health systems challenges in such settings. We understand the socio-economic and cultural determinants of health, as well as local health priorities.
- Developing practical solutions: We use our local knowledge to develop and evaluate interventions specifically designed to work in resource-poor settings.
- Generating evidence to support wider use: We emphasise rigorous testing and scalability, to generate evidence relevant not only to Bangladesh but also to other low- and middle-income countries.
- Focusing on translation: We are committed to translating research into policy and practice. We have vast experience of disseminating and translating scientific evidence for use by policy-makers, programme managers and the scientific community.
- Networking globally: Our researchers are extensively networkedwith leading research institutions in North America, Europe and Australasia. We also contribute to many regional networks.
- Building an infrastructure for world-class research: We are committed to maintaining research platforms enabling us to undertake a full spectrum of research. Our work spans population-based studies and demographic surveillance, large-scale clinical trials, hospital-based clinical studies, social science, and laboratory research.
- Liaising with Government: We work in close collaboration with the Governmentâ€¨ of Bangladesh. We generate evidence to inform policy development and implementation, and evaluate health service delivery.
Our achievements illustrate how these principles have enabled us to have a major impact on the health of people in Bangladesh and globally.